Twitter, Instagram, blogs, press…Artificial intelligence developed by Proxem associated with the expertise of Vitabella Luxury Wine (Marketing Strategy and Communication Consultants) has, each year since 2012, enabled the commentaries of wine professionals from all around the world during the Bordeaux En Primeur campaign to be analyzed. With this Vitabella-Proxem survey, artificial intelligence is once again at the heart of the 2018 En Primeur campaign in Bordeaux. Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, WeChat, QQ….in the world of luxury in general and more specifically in the world of wine, Social Listening has to be a veritable way of life. The Champagne Houses and Wine Brands that are advised by Vitabella use this technology to improve their marketing and international communications. Understanding new trends, integrating them into brand strategy as soon as they emerge, improving the performance and precision of advertising campaigns, creating editorial content pertinent to the brand… all this contributes to the creation of stronger and more emotionally based links with the consumers of today and tomorrow
Between March 1 and April 5, 2019, conversations generated by wine industry professionals about the 2018 Bordeaux En Primeurs were aggregated in 16 different languages. What emerged from this data?
1) Online output was stable compared to previous years, notably thanks to Instagram. Whilst the volume of activity on Twitter dropped significantly (1500 tweets compared to almost 3000 in 2017 and 2016), there were over 1500 Instagram posts compared to only around a hundred in 2017.
2) Apart from the quality of the wines and the vintage, many themes: talk of En Primeur which is “no longer of interest”, or how Bordeaux has been slow to take up organic viticulture. A comment by the Mayor of Bordeaux, Nicolas Florian, who said “I propose that local restaurants only serve Bordeaux wines” was also the object of much comment. But also a points system that was judged “absurd” for En Primeur wines, adverse economic conditions, and more and more intense competition that renders the Bordeaux offering less interesting.
3) What do professionals think about the 2018 vintage in Bordeaux? The 2018 vintage is considered to be excellent, solar, with great ageing potential. Baptised “Purple Rain” because of the rain that characterised the spring of 2018 and the purple hues of the wines, this vintage is described as “child of the sun and the rain”.
4) The preferred appellation of experts: Margaux and Saint Julien are both the most preferred appellations.
5) The TOP 10: Mouton Rothschild came out the clear winner in 2018, way in front of all the others.
N°1: Mouton Rothschild
N°2: Chateau Margaux
N°3: Chateau Palmer
N°4: Cos d’Estournel
N°5: Lafite Rothschild
N°6: Pontet Canet
N°8: Calon Ségur
N°10: Cheval Blanc
A beautiful record for this 2018 vintage where, if we consider only the opinion of the French experts, Cos d’Estournel would have the 1st position and Montrose would be in the Top 10. If Chinese, German, Spanish experts also have a list of winners slightly different to the general consensus, the king of the 2018 vintage is indeed Mouton Rothschild. « Premier je suis, second je fus, Mouton ne change ».
For more information on this Proxem-VitaBella analysis, contact us directly: email@example.com